“I get things done as quickly as possible, saving my clients money...”

Trevor B. Smith

My name is Trevor B. Smith and I’m a family law lawyer who practices law in Ontario and BC. Currently, I live in Toronto. (I am not the Trevor Smith who practices in Ottawa.)

Some people call us “divorce lawyers” but we do a lot more than just help people get divorced, so that description is a bit narrow. For example, we also draft pre-nuptial and cohabitation agreements, which people generally make at the beginning of a relationship. Also, many of my clients live in “common law” relationships and never get married. Since they’re not married, they can’t get divorced. Some clients have never even lived with anyone else, but have a child with someone. Some clients want to adopt children.

So calling me a “divorce lawyer” doesn’t accurately describe more than half of what I do.

Whether people are married or just “shacking up,” with or without children, a family law lawyer helps people sort out their legal disagreements with their spouses, ex-spouses, and the other parents and guardians of their children.

I have been assisting spouses and parents with their legal problems since 2008, when I developed an interest in family law as an articled student at the University of Victoria Law Centre. After graduating from UVic Law, I articled and practiced at two large firms in downtown Vancouver.

In 2011, I began work at a leading Vancouver family law firm. After two years in the firm’s Vancouver office, I opened their Toronto office.

In 2016, I started my own practice to better serve my clients with the focused attention and flexibility I felt they deserved.

I’m happy to meet with anyone who needs information about their family law rights and obligations in Ontario or BC. Initial consultations are free, and there is no obligation to retain me beyond that initial consultation.

Please note that even though I’m licensed to practice law in both Ontario and BC, currently I’m only taking new clients who:

  • live in Ontario
  • have a spouse or child in Ontario who is the subject of a family law dispute
  • own real estate in Ontario that is the subject of a family law dispute

I can refer you to many excellent lawyers in Vancouver that can help if you have a BC-only family law issue.